6.17.2004

speaker

i just experienced the most irritating hour and 1/2 "talk" i have ever experienced

... and now i'm depressed

10 comments:

Konstantin Levin said...

lets hear about it.

Stetlers said...

nice to know you're alive since you haven't called your wife!! I'll just check your blog for frequent updates on your travels over the next 10 days.
Seriously, what was the talk about.

Anonymous said...

bro, i'm so sorry. i'm hurting for you. we'll detox you when you get back.

Stetlers said...

ryan dobson wrote a book called: Be Intolerant: because some things are just stupid. yea... just by the name of the book you might be saying to yourself.."good intentions, but do you live where i live?" his hour 1/2 talk was dedicated to the research and content of this book.
it's a book written to the christian sub-culture encouraging them to stand up and fight against relativity and "anything-goes" theology. I guess you would have to hear this guy or read his book to understand why i have no idea where to even begin. (this is very judgemental, but after hearing his presentation last night, he most likely is a card carrying member of the NRA, experiences road rage on a consistant basis, pisses christians and non-christians off with his "i'm holier than you" evangelism style.) Last night dobson spent the full hour 1/2 telling stories about how he wins arguments that relate to moral issues... gave pointers to give to kids that might be good "comebacks" when faced with an "open door" for evangelism. He was trying to relate that Christians should be bold in their Faith. But being bold in one's Faith has nothing to do with pissing other people off in my estimation, unless it is close-minded religious leaders, who are also unrepentent materialists.

Of course Jesus wasn't tolerant of Sin, but instead showed GRACE to sinners. Because He WAS Holy. The problem is that WE as the Church don't emanate this same holiness. WE as the church are responsible for Crusades, Inquisitions, and the propogation of slavery. We don't have the moral footing to stand on in order to be intolerant. Why should we use this word anyway. I think the biggest problem I have with this whole thing is that ryan is trying to show his audience the radical commitment Jesus desires, but uses a word to describe this that is associated with hate, bigotry, and ugliness. Jesus was none of these things. I think that Ryan may have understood his audience in one regard, but not in another. I think that history could show that the intended audience will not be called to intolerance of sin, but to voice their intolerance of others under the heading of intolerance of sin. I fear(I hope that my fear is not realized) that this book will do more damage to the Body of Christ than bring people down off the fence. I think it will lead many in the Church to point fingers at sin, without extending their arms, concern, and love to those who are engaged in the sin. This should make all of us who are still in need of Jesus' Radical Grace each day, very nervous - Because I still have junk that Jesus is helping me work through.

this is long, perhaps I should have blogged my response, but I doubt that this subject deserves another post

Douglas said...

Eric, sorry it was such a bad experience. One of my biggest concerns about Christianity is when Christians don't act Christ like. But... please don't join him. Whats with this "he most likely is a card carrying member of the NRA, experiences road rage on a consistant basis, pisses christians and non-christians off" ?

Stetlers said...

yea, i hear ya... i already called what it was... judgemental. i am a cynical person by nature... i actually meant to go back and delete it but i forgot

James said...

One of two things has occurred:

I am either blessed by the fact that I "accidentaly" scheduled my senior high mission trip the same week as your youth event, which I was supposed to be at.
OR
I am cursed that I could not share these past few days with you, where I am sure we would have valued the togetherness over the "talks".

I don't know if you knew, but I am also the speaker at the camp following the one you are leading worship at, on the same campground.

Two near misses in two weeks.

Perhaps we should plan these things, if you ever accept another, it may make it more worth it.

I miss you Eric.

Stetlers said...

in my reading today I came accross this:
oswald chambers:
Jesus' instructions wiht regard to judging others is very simlply put; he says don't. the average Christian is the most piercingly critical individual known. ...the effect of criticism is the dividing up of the strengths fothe one being criticized... you must constantly beware of anything that causes you to think of yourself as a superior person...timely, huh

Chris said...

Your honesty is refreshing...thanks for being transparent, translucent, and/or opaque...I'm not sure which one is more appropriate...

Ron said...

I'm getting soft ... old and soft. I don't listen to dobson ... so he dosen't bother me. I've been look for encouragement from those around me who love me inspite of myself. My wife, my kids, my dog ... who tryed to eat a skunk 2 nights ago ... sweet ... Dude, turn your radio off and get a skunk eating dog ... you won't be depressed anymore.

Blog Archive