here are some thoughts from my friend Chris who I miss greatly (he's not dead, we just don't see much of eachother)...
his thoughts on prayer and fasting go right along with what our spiritual community has been contemplating together
I guess I've never really thought about fasting as having a direct and practical impact on meeting others physical needs. I have always thought that fasting was about praying for a need and going without something to "deny" the flesh and show that "man does not live by bread alone."
Then I read this scripture again and realized that our desire to simplify, to get rid of excess, to live on less so as to give more away...is really all about fasting. I never realized that our fasting should take on REAL physical forms of caring for others. The meal(s) I give up should be feeding someone else. The motorcycle I sell should allow me to give someone else what they need.
We should be going on permanent fasts of things in our lives and allow the funds we would normally spend on them to take care of the hungry, naked, and homeless all around us. I think this is what Jesus meant when he talked about the rich giving out of their wealth. If I give away hundreds or even thousands of dollars to help the needy, but it doesn't REALLY cost me anything then what's the point? If I fast something in my life, but never think to meet someone else's need with the resources I've given up, then what's the point in that?
__________________________________
currently playing:: belle & sebastian
2.05.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is some good shit dude.
Your friend Chris has an excellent viewpoint here... definitely challenging. I'm not living it, and I agree with it. What if we all lived it?--Corbin
I miss you too Eric...you're a big reason I'm finding myself where I am on this journey...
still trying to figure out what all of this really looks like in our lives right now...we've got to get down there again soon...
I hope that he will listen to you - maybe one day he will listen to me too. All he knows is the "ends", he needs to know the "means". He needs to be offered the red pill.
Peace dude - what the fuck ever
Post a Comment