8.01.2005

Choosing Poverty

The Gospels clearly indicate that Jesus voluntarily accepted poverty in view of the coming kingdom. He also commanded his disciples to practice the redistribution of their capital. During the time of Jesus, land and flocks were the people’s only wealth, or in today’s terminology, “capital.” Yet Jesus taught, “Seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor” (Luke 12:31–33).

André Trocmé - Jesus and the Nonviolent Revolution
__________________________________
currently playing:: Cat Stevens

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sayin'.

TB

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't make it last night...enjoying some Redcay-Kleckner time. Hope it went well, and hope to make a future event.

Chris said...

Yeah...what the heck do I do with that? I want to be there...but I'm not. We're so entangled with "capital" (or the lack of)that it's debilitating. But I hear you...and long to live simply.

Blog Archive