The Future of Food party was a sucess... good to see Chris Bean in attendance, as well as the new director for the ACGA. There is so much information in this documentary that is so very important that I would be willing to travel to your lands and lead a viewing/dialoge in your space!
The big word that resonated with me this time I viewed the documentary was "compassion." Who ever thought that what you buy at the grocery could have ramifications globally? We need to begin asking ourselves "are the decisions I'm making to save a few dollars marginalizing the poor?" We make choices everyday in ignorance that have a long lasting impact on our world systems and ultimately people. The question is: Are we willing to challenge our status quo? -or is our comfort simply more convenient than asking hard questions?
this article seems to be a good start:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/GlobalWarming/story?id=2277893
or even something like this:
Wendell Berry writes
A typical example of the conduct of industrial heroism is to be found in the present rush of experts to "solve the problem of world hunger"--which is rarely defined except as a "world problem" known, in industrial jargon, as "the world food problematique." As is characteristic of industrial heroism, the professed intention here is entirely salutary: nobody should starve. The trouble is that "world hunger" is not a problem that can be solved by a "world solution." Except in a very limited sense, it is not an industrial problem, and industrial attempts to solve it--such as the "Green Revolution" and "Food for Peace"--have often had grotesque and destructive results. "The problem of world hunger" cannot be solved until it is understood and dealt with by local people as a multitude of local problems of ecology, agriculture, and culture.
8.09.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Man, you got to let us know about this stuff! I know I've been out of town, and missed last gathering, but a group e-mail is not out of the question:)...
So it hasn't worked to get back to Kevin's farm. Will there still be work in two weeks when my next break from work comes? Also, do you know if Kevin is helping to organize the Garlic Festival? I got an e-mail from Simple Living that had a Kevin organizing that and needing help, and I couldn't help but wonder if there was a connection...
¨There is so much information in this documentary that is so very important that I would be willing to travel to your lands and lead a viewing/dialoge in your space!¨
you`re on.
when can we expect you...and can you bring a spanish version?
peace
it was a challenging piece of film!If I wasn't already wrestling with these issues...I sure am now. Thanks.
Mandy and I have the film coming by way of Netflix this week, after we watch it we'll decide which of our friends can handle it and then we'll schedule you for a party. We watched Super Size Me last week and even though the Big Mac's in it looked sooo very good and tempting even when he talked about how bad they were, I've decided things need to change.
Post a Comment