4.18.2007

this just in from just this farm

Hi friends of Just This Farm:



If you are interested in getting excellent quality grass fed beef this year, raised at Just This Farm, I have a proposal for you.



For the last several years I have been purchasing heifers in early May from another farm, and then keeping them here at Just This Farm for six months. While they are here, I use a rotational grazing system, so that they are eating high quality organic pasture during their stay. I do not use any growth hormones or antibiotics (I don't even know how to). The animals typically gain about 300 lbs over the six months. I then take them to a local, inspected butcher shop at the end of November, and distribute meat in December to those who have placed orders.



This year I am short on cash, but would still like to purchase 4 One year old beef cows in a few weeks, and keep them here as I have in previous years. So I am looking for interested folks who want to buy a cow now - in advance. I have arranged to buy 4 animals from another Organic farmer. These animals will initially weigh about 700 lbs, and the going price this year is $1.50 per lb. (Beef prices are high because corn prices have gone up- and feedlots use lots of corn to produce "corn-fed beef".) Cows are designed to eat grass, however.



So here is the proposal

You buy one whole, or 1/2 , 1/4, or 1/8 share of the cow, and then pay your share of the other costs involved, including transportation and butchering fees, and pay me the farmer, $500 per animal for the work I will be doing throughout the season in watering the cows, moving them using rotational grazing methods so they have high quality pasture, and mowing the fields when necessary.

The total cost for each animal will be approximately $1,800-$2,000 and you would end up with approximately 400 lbs of grass- fed meat for your freezer in December. This equals about $5.00 per lb when all is said and done, (which what I charged last year).

The price for 1/2 would be approximately $1000, 1/4 would be $500, and 1/8 would be $250.



I will have each cow weighed at the beginning and would ask you to pay your share of the initial cost up-front, the remaining costs would be paid at the end.

So, to take me up on the proposal and to become an owner or partial owner of a live cow, (which you can come out and visit if you want this summer) you would need to pay approximately this amount up-front:

Whole cow @ 700 lbs x $1.50 lb = $1,120 (approximate value)

1/2 share = $560

1/4 share = $280

1/8 share = $140



These cows are a Shorthorn/Piedmont cross and were raised at Twin Parks Organic Farm in West Salem, Ohio



Please let me know if you are interested, by either sending an email or calling me at 614-805-5776.



Other news: I will again be at the North Market Farmer's Market this summer in the same spot as I have had for the last 5 years.

I am also helping to organize and will participate in the 2nd Annual Garlic Festival to be held this year at the North Market on Sunday, August 19th.



Thank You.

Kevin Eigel

www.justthisfarm.net

No comments:

Blog Archive