7.24.2005

Benevolence cafe'

The weather was beautiful yesterday morning. Spent some time on my bike running errands (bank, farmers market) I was able to squeeze a bundle of swisschard, 3 beets/greens, 1 head of cabbage, a quart of strawberries, 2 peaches, 4 ears of corn and a small cantaloupe in my small messenger bag. I truly love farmers markets. One of my favorite authors, Wendell Berry, sees the market as the very life source of the local community. I felt that heartbeat while I was there. Smiles, reciprocity... real human interaction.

and when at the north market, so close to benevolence cafe', one must stop. They call themselves a sanctuary in the city. it is. it is hard for me to describe the ethos of a place like this... there's the aroma of fresh baked breads and homemade soups... as you enter the door, there's a "family sized" pine table that spans the length of the entire cafe that begs "meal sharing'...books on every wall with subjects like organic gardening, ecology, economics, spirituality, environmentalism and community living. Green plants, excellent teas, organic vegan foods, excellent music.... I watch as people linger on their way out not really wanting to leave. Kerri and I love this space... and the best thing is, it has to share us with plenty of other excellent columbus attracitons!

No comments:

Blog Archive