8.06.2005

Chicago

so this is my first time in Chicago... tawd, blake, and I are here for a conference. we are staying in a really nice community living space just outside of downtown. I guess I never realized how big Chicago was. We drove in yesterday along Lake Shore Drive and saw hundreds of Chicago inhabitants enjoying the lake side, riding bikes, rollerblading, etc. The city scape seemed to span for miles. Last night at the conf. I experienced my first ever "footwashing." I was a bit leary at first, not sure if it was something that would be culturally significant in the 21st cent. A powerful message was given on how "washing feet" in our society was a prophetic way to live in opposition to the powers that be. New life was breathed into how I understand servanthood. This sybolic act represented a rejection of power and authority over others. It was amazing how everyone in the room was immediatly on a level plane. Very significant to me... very humbling.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I remember my first footwashing experience...it confirmed my fears that is was culturally meaningless and an attempt at piety. However...my second (and most recent) experience was powerful in the ways you have expressed. So I don't know where to "stand" on the practice. I've always loved Chicago for its diversity of culture and people groups.

Blog Archive