10.12.2005





"When food submerses the body, and through the body the soul, its relish disappears, and then alone does it begin to function in the way nature intended it to."
- Gandhi


"The great law of life is replenishment. If we do not eat, we die. Just as surely, if we do not eat the kind of food which will nourish the body constructively, we not only die prematurely, but we suffer along the way."
- Norman Walker, D.S. (at 100 years of age)

7 comments:

myoldblog2009 said...

By the looks of Gandhi, dude, he wasn't speaking of perishable food.

Stetlers said...

gandhi had an incredible perspective on diet and awareness. he spent years of his life researching diet and how it clears the mind and body, leaving us in a state that is more fully human and free.

a while back when i was doing some research on fasting, i found a pretty obscure gandhi book re: nutrition and diet on the book shelves. His autobiography also points to his emphasis throughout life of what to eat.

"Wherever flax seed becomes a regular food item among the people, there will be better health."

Mahatma Gandhi

At age 71, Gandhi reflected upon his dietary philosophy by writing the following (p. 381) in his autobiography:

"I had long realized that milk was not necessary for
supporting the body, but it was not easy to give it up. While the necessity for avoiding milk in the interests of self-restraint was growing upon me, I happened to come across some literature from Calcutta, describing the tortures to which cows and buffaloes were subjected by their keepers. This had a wonderful effect on me."

At 21 years of age, Gandhi vacationed at the farm of fellow vegetarian, Leo Tolstoy. At Tolstoy Farm, Gandhi came to understand that milk from cows was not the perfect food for humans. On page 382 of his autobiography, Gandhi wrote:

"It was during this time that we had the discussion about milk. Mr. Kallenbach said, 'We constantly talk about the harmful effects of milk. Why then do not we give it up? It is certainly not necessary.' I was agreeably surprised at the suggestion, which I warmly welcomed, and both of us pledged ourselves to abjure milk there and then."

so yeah dude, maybe perishable

Anonymous said...

I definitely think there is an ethics in food consumption, prepartion, distribution, etc. But what do I do with my desire to die at a young age? If I eat healthy out of responsibility, then I need some motivation to want to live longer. Great quotes by the way...

Anonymous said...

will you come here so we can be friends again? i miss you. and your awesome family.

Stetlers said...

my guess would be that if Jesus and Gandhi were not the non-violent revolutionaries they were that they may have lived a long healthy life. so there's your plan corbin... live well until you die as a result of your social non-conformity

myoldblog2009 said...

yeah dude - go fuck yourself

I need to vacation at the Stetler farm.

Anonymous said...

Good plan. I never thought of it like that, and even if it was a joke, it's probably true. I just watched Malcolm X this week, another link in the chain...

Blog Archive