erici just got a forwarded email from my grandpa saying something of how he was pissed about the ACLU complaining about some soldiers praying on duty. the author of the forward was doing the typical, "one nation under god, we will not be silenced" sort of thing. for some reason i felt really good to write the following paragraphs as i copy and pasted my grandpa's whole forwarded email list into my "To:" box. yes, i sent this email to everyone my grandpa sent his patriotic email to... including him. i guess i just wanted to send it to you because i'm amused at what i did. i really wonder how many hate emails i'm going to get back in response... and it'll be so ironic. or, they'll just look at me as a young idealist.
::::::::::::::::::::
dear all:
In response to this email (about the praying troops) i think i'm going
to pray for all the troops, including the iraqi troops.
I can no longer believe that "God is on our side and not there's."
Religious war has gone on long enough and it's time for religion to be
above wars. If we're going to call ourselves Christians then we'd
better live the person we profess-- Jesus Christ, the Son of God- the
Incarnate God who lived, died and lives again so that we, as one
people, can be with God. The name of Jesus has been used for far too
long in justifying acts of violence and it's time for that name to
become real to us as a person- the person of Jesus Christ. As long as
we are supporting violence and self-promotion/preservation/privilage
in the name of the God of Jesus Christ, we are creating an idol in our
own image while still using, "all the right words." Yes, simply
saying the few letters that make up the name Jesus Christ does not
make what we're saying correct. And simply repeating what is heard
from the pulpit on sunday morning also does not guarantee that what we
are speaking is the truth of the God revealed in Jesus Christ. We can
no longer retreat from our own responsibility to think about and pray
about the words we're actually saying and the deeds we're doing by
passing the blame to an authority or to our plea of "ignorance."
Please join us as we step up and proclaim to the world that we're
stepping down- we give up our power as we die with the Christ who gave
up his whole being, including power. No longer can death be justified
in the name of Jesus Christ-- the Son of God is the incarnation of the
God of Love.
"You have heard it said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I
tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the
right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue
you for your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone
forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who
asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from
you."
Words of Jesus according to Matthew 5:38-42 (NIV)
We are not called, as one body- the church, to be selfish and horde
all we have. We are called to the exact opposite: to love one another
and give to those in need. We are not to live tight-fisted and
stingy, "What's mine is mine! And if you try to take it i'm
destroying you!". No, we are to live as those who have nothing, and
the things we do have are only gifts waiting to be given away. That
is the life of the one we call Jesus- the one whom we proclaim to
follow. Let this name no longer be a name, but a real person with a
real story that we can learn the deepest truths of the God of Love
from. Amen.
God bless America
God bless Iraq
(or don't bless anyone at all)
just a poor college student in california,
curtis
11 comments:
haha... i feel like a 12 year old wrote that- i feel so disqualified.
oops
preach it brother!
Jesus brought so many faces and names with his incarnation, but we've added on way too many
good stuff man.. thats some tough stuff to say to your family.
-phil
I don't know the context of the letter, but do you believe all war is evil or maybe unchristian? Do you really believe God does not call some nations to war against others?
the last comment has no author... It has not been my practice in the past to respond to anonymous comments
When men are moral peaceful protest will always turn their hearts, but when they are evil sometimes I do believe force is needed. I wrote the last post. I didn't post my name because I don't know everyone so some may question my motives. I am most likely in the minority. I just wondered how you justified the O.T. or even Jesus in Luke 7. If he opposed war why didn't he tell the centurion to leave his job? He asked tougher things of others: the rich man was asked to sell everything, the apostles were asked to leave their jobs.
Brett
PS I found your blog page when I was looking for your e-mail. I have enjoyed reading it. I apologize if I have over stepped my bounds.
Hello Brett
Glad to hear you enjoy my random thoughts.
I would love to chat about christian nonviolence with you via email.
First, Curtis: I had a similar email experience from someone in my family. A very racist forward about all the poor niggers (word the guy used over and over with an "apology" about it being true)in New Orleans after Katrina. I wrote out a big long email, then deleted it. Email is an awful way to communicate. The most gentle person can come off as a complete asshole via web or email. I simply replied to this person that I didn't wish to receive any more forwards like that and I'd love to talk about it next time I say them.
While we need to speak the truth with power, we must also be concerned that our desire for prohetic announcement doesn't override Jesus' commands to love one another and seek reconciliation and peace. We cannot piss people off and cause division in order to speak the truth about peace and reconciliation.
Second, Brett:
If you're interested, I've written some stuff down on Nonviolence:
http://actualkingdom.blogspot.com/2005/05/nonviolence-chronicles.html
Thankyou Brandon for the webpage you can be sure I will check it out and read it. I am not opposed to non-violence in fact I personally struggle with this entire issue. One of my favorite poets e.e. cummings believed in it. I believe scripture calls for men to resolve their personal issues in non-violent ways. I have just not been entirely sold on non-violence in it's relation to war. I will read the webpage you have listed.
Brett
Post a Comment