8.01.2006

What life looks like these days...

Every morning I have been jumping out of bed eager to get to the farm... I love the hot days and hard work. I think I'm becoming somewhat addicted to manual labor. The farm I work at now is an organic farm located just outside the city. Kevin, the farmer, is pretty excellent. He has taken me under his wing and taught be so much about simple living, organic farming, the history of agriculture, composting, environmentalism, energy efficiency (he built his own house to be energy efficient), Tao chi, and so much more.

Today we picked blackberries the size of small plums, ate plums and peaches right off the tree, tied up tomato plants, and seeded broccoli, lettuce, cilantro, zucchini, basil, and coriander...and finished the day off by collecting eggs. Tomorrow we will harvest for a special market on Thursday for low income families. I am excited that he is taking me with him as this will be my first market experience with Kevin.

I come home at night to find my apartment littered with friends and family... and we share stories a little too late... so now I am tired and will retire for the eve.

6 comments:

miz fuhrell said...

good good stuff, eric. i hope you're taking notes. :) perhaps you can bring yo' bad self and all you've learned about this stuff and share w/ the vc body. I know lots of us would love it! seriously - think about a visit for the autumn.

BT said...

Hey Eric--

It was really good seeing you the other night. It had been too long.

I caught a conversation Doug and Andrew were having with Amy about composting. I was wondering if you could give me some tips so Kari and I could start composting. I've found a few web sites, but they are fairly vague. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Email me at btaylor@bcnaz.com if you have time.

Peace, brother.

BT

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Friday, August 11, I should be able to help again...Let me know if you want to do the same ride situation as before.

Anonymous said...

Hay glad to see you are a farm hand. It is fun for a while till some fate with the weather knocks out your crop. I like growing crops under plastic so you can control the heat, water, insects, weeds etc. Send me the standards that you have to abide by so you can call a crop organic. Are the standards state or federal regulated? From an old farmer, Gramps

Stetlers said...

ang - i would love to! we could do a showing of the Future of Food and then some sort of discussion on these issues... keep in touch

Brad.kari-
composting.. just do it.. make a pile. start with food scraps and then cover that with straw/green matter/ grass clippings/ etc. layer it up... read up on keeping the compost the rith alkaline base.


Gramps... It is good... i think of you often, and of your father... doing the physical labor I do every day until his 70's. That is pretty amazing. the federal gov. sets the regulations for an organic product... kevin's farm is inspected by a local auditor every year.

Anonymous said...

my big brother, Eric...living in the city...once a major jock..is now a FARMER! why am I surprised!

Blog Archive