2.03.2007

A brief update...

I'm half way through my first qtr of "back to school". If you read my wife's blog (kerristetler.blogspot.com) then you might already know that I'm going back to school to become a nurse. Reason: we are moving to franklinton (largest white ghetto in the nation only 2miles from where we live currently) and Kerri and I decided to fully involve ourselves in that neighborhood however we can. That involved finding work there. Mount Carmel West is a huge employer in the neighborhood, and they also have a school of nursing that offers a second degree accellerated program. If all goes well, I will start there in January of 08 be an RN by January of 09. Until then, I am aquiring a few science courses that are prerequisites for the program at Columbus State.

I work rather close to school at a homeless shelter called Faith Mission. I work front desk/do perimiter checks/wake men up/make sure they have bedding/etc. At first, the job seemed overwhelming, but now I am liking this job more each day. It is pretty amazing to listen to the stories of each one of these men. I realize that most of the time they are just that, "stories," but seeking to connect with the men there has taught me so much about pain, struggle, humiliation, and the will to live. This is definatly the closest I've ever been to hearing the deep groans and the "crying out" of my city. I feel like this job is a training ground for what lies ahead of me and my family. I feel like such a "beginner" when it comes to serving the poor, those in need, the forgotten, the unheard voices of society. I don't have any answers... I don't know how to prevent homelessness... I have no idea what these people need. But I'm committing to listening for a season.

1 comment:

peterkevinson said...

Eric,
I look forward to our families getting together again and talking about what your talking about.
kp

Blog Archive