fromReal Spirituality
good article!!!
something I need to be mindfull of::
The pursuit of holiness, Paul argues, is our real service of worship. Real worship is not participation in a religious ceremony whereby the worshippers close their eyes to reality and enter into a transcendent state of consciousness. These truths ought to determine how Christians think about worship. If I participate in a religious service or discipline--be it prayer, a quiet time, Bible study, or attending church--and I consciously or unconsciously use that discipline to close my eyes to the truth about God, about myself, or about the world, then that discipline is not of God--no matter how "spiritual" it may appear. According to Paul, closing our eyes to the material world and discomfort of our moral and physical limitedness is not spirituality. Striving after moral purity in the midst of our fallenness is.
1.16.2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2003
(138)
-
▼
January
(22)
- Rhetoric to Reality talked with Greg today about t...
- meditated today on this:: "the light shines in the...
- good day at work. gerald and I are finishing up i...
- homo unis libri John Wesley publilshed approximate...
- i got called out this morn... too much time on the...
- had a good meeting with palmer yesterday. this was...
- what can e.william learn from the life of Menno Si...
- I can't believe I am reading this in "The Younger ...
- lot of good things from my meeting with scott last...
- fromReal Spirituality good article!!! something I ...
- i am very excited about an opportunity to start co...
- Last night we had our first home group. it went v...
- John Wesley's "Covenant Prayer" "I am no longer my...
- still dealing lately with the move from relevance ...
- starting a class this month to kick off our new mi...
- now i'm staring at the screen trying to think of s...
- I'm supposed to be doing finances right now and I ...
- what's your trash guy's story? my friend Gerald wa...
- My new friend Palmer got a great write up in the o...
- The church's business is not to maintain freedom o...
- What should I do with my life? Of course, addressi...
- it happened the other day... i was pulling shots f...
-
▼
January
(22)
No comments:
Post a Comment