I joined my first book club this month...
we're reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. There is a lot of information in this fiction that brown claims is factual... if this is the case, I'm learning some very interesting things about Leo, ancient art, the Constitinian rule, radical catholic sects, etc. I found out though that Lewis Perdue who wrote Daughter of God is sueing Brown because his new best seller is very similar to his book. I'm sure this will be an interesting peice of information for those in the book club. turns out that It's a men's fellowship. not like men's prayer breakfast though since i will be the only strait man there. so needless to say, I will be streched through this new venture and will learn much.
so the major premise to the book that I can tell so far is that many people feel as though modern christianity has reduced or eliminated the idea of feminine deity.
also spent some time at an LP gathering this week to listen to what Chris Smith had to say about the early churches following Christ's death from his new book Water, Faith, and Wood. Much of what he shared will be helpful in my discussion of the Da Vinci Code and i know now I must read Chris' new work.
anyway, i found this on Chris Smith's blog today and it will also be key:
Lyrics to Pierce Pettis' song "Miriam", (which is Hebrew for Mary)
No banners were unfurled,
when God stepped into the world,
held in the arms of a little girl named Miriam.
Who would ever believe, the fiancée, the family,
the teenage pregnancy of Miriam?
But laws of nature were suspended,
death sentences rescinded, throughout all the world,
all because of a little girl named Miriam.
Medieval paintings glaring down,
stony figures judge and frown,
wearing a halo like a crown. Could that be Miriam?
Gentile temples’ stained glass swirls,
cherubim with golden curls. Oh! How unlike your Hebrew world, Miriam.
I don’t know if you ascended. I don’t care what’s been amended.
There was one sure miracle: the faith of a little girl named Miriam.
Oh, you are blessed indeed! Blessed is the fruit of your tree,
Yeshua, king of kings, and son of Miriam.
No banners were unfurled
when God stepped into the world,
held in the arms of a little girl named Miriam
10.25.2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment