i've been to my friend Chris's blog and his post got me thinking about daily quite time. meditation. centering. modern evangelicals have been in the production mode for some time now. I appreciate Henri Nouwens holy honesty when it comes to his "boring" discipline:: My hour in Carmelite chapel is more important than I can fully know myself. It is not an hour of deep prayer, nor a time in which I experience a special closeness to God; it is not a period of serious attentiveness to the divine mysteries. I wish it were! On the contrary, it is full of distractions, inner restlessness, sleepiness, confusion, and boredom. It seldom, if ever, pleases my senses. But the simple fact of being for one hour in the presence of the Lord and of showing him all that I think, feel, sense, and experience, without trying to hide anything, must please him. Somehow, somewhere, I know that he loves me, even though I do not feel that love as I can feel a human embrace, even though I do not hear a voice as I hear human words of consolation, even though I do not see a smile as I can see a human face. Still the Lord speaks to me, looks at me, and embraces me there, where I am still unable to notice it. The only way I become aware of his presence is in that remarkable desire to return to that quiet chapel and be there without any real satisfaction. Yes, I notice, maybe only retrospectively, that my days and weeks are different days and weeks when they are held together by these regular "useless" times. God is greater than my senses, greater than my thoughts, greater than my heart. I do believe that he touches me in places that are unknown even to myself. I seldom can point directly to these places; but when I feel this inner pull to return again to that hidden hour of prayer, I realize that something is happening that is so deep that it becomes like the riverbed through which the waters can sefely flow and find their way to the open sea.
as my friend bill clinton stuttered after a God directed talk on abortion by Mother Theresa::"how can anyone argue with a life so well lived!"--thank God for the honest saints of the past who have left nuggets of truth from their own journey to help others along.
11.27.2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2002
(75)
-
▼
November
(21)
- riley is now on the road to recovery. they were t...
- riley is sick::sick::sick! puked all night and wen...
- i've been to my friend Chris's blog and his post ...
- Moving day was a success help arived in BG and thi...
- can't sleep so I have been digging into my new pre...
- Both Kerri and I are sick and we move in two days....
- we got dumped on last night with about 4 in. of th...
- Things are moving fast. Spent the last couple of ...
- More training today. tomorrow i go to Bexley for c...
- first day at Starbucks. I didn't expect it to be s...
- wow! this thing pegged me. "It is the chiefest p...
- A Heart of Gratitude Scott and I were talking this...
- Found out how to add a link at the end of each pos...
- fresh page, new day, all out of thoughts, ideas an...
- if anyone reading this wants to buy me this book f...
- Pulled out some old music today. funny how quickly...
- blogging here at the library in Gahanna. I might ...
- Had initial meetings with Starbucks this morning. ...
- my blogger code: B3 d- t- k+ s-- u-- f i+ o+ x-- e...
- Monday is going to be a big day. Kerri, Riley, an...
- been a while... woke up with a sore throat this mo...
-
▼
November
(21)
No comments:
Post a Comment