8.15.2003

I'm finding it much harder to remain "holy" as I dive deeper into my culture. Is holiness as a doctrine practical in my world? It seemed much more practical while I would study this doctrine in my soft cushy leather chair. There in my "study" I found it rather easy to formulate hard sayings about a life of holiness to deliver with passion to the Body of Christ. This story helps me::
A brilliant young Jewish scholar had approached a wizened rabbi to ask: "They say I am the holiest of all men. Do you think this is true?"
At first the rabbi refused to answer. But after being badgered by the tenacious scholar, he responded, "You are the most pious man of our age. You study night and day, retired from the world, surrounded by the rows of your books, the holy ark, the faces of devout scholars. You have reached high holiness. How have you reached it? Go down in the marketplace with the rest of the Jews. Endure their work, their strains, their distractions. Mingle in the world, hear the skepticism and irreligion they hear, take the blows they take. Let us see then if you remain the holiest of all men."


I may never return to full time church work - but if I do for some reason (God), I pray that these years in the marketplace develop within me a deep integrity and balanced piety

No comments:

Blog Archive