8.11.2003

self-improvement?
I had a good conversation with a friend at work today about self improvement (his words). I knew I wanted to say something really intelligent about how self-improvement sucks, but I ended up just talking around in circles about how true self improvement has nothing to do with self at all... It in turn focuses on those around us... it is about love for others ... self improvement is love of self. Listening to him talk about his quest for self-better-ment made me sad because I know where he is at - I've been there. A continual self analization of performance on the quest for quality living... it's all crap! We must all escape the humanistic self-help bull that takes us deeper into a morbid introspection of the soul. True freedom comes from the release of what Christ calls "love of neighbor." Or as Oswald Chambers says in My Upmost for His Highest "the ministry of the exterior"
too bad I didn't think about it then but I could have used the excellent advice of tyler durden from Fight Club:: "self improvement is masturbation - maybe self destruction is the answer"
it's late and i need sleep

No comments:

Blog Archive